Today's post is by my friend, Lynnis Woods-Mullins. Lynnis hosts internet TV and radio shows, publishes an e-magazine, and is the creator of Wellness Woman. Her blog post gives some excellent examples of ways to clear out spiritual/mental/emotional clutter. Enjoy!
6 Keys To Spiritual Wellness
Spiritual Wellness for me is seeking the true meaning of life and what my role is in this life. Simply put, Spiritual Wellness is taking the time to learn how to connect with yourself, nature, your destiny, and God.
As I grow older, I find myself striving to connect more with the divine within, digging deep to connect with the reason God placed me in this body and this life. At this stage of my life, I want to spend more time discovering who I truly am and why I am here.
Here are the 6 keys to spiritual wellness that I strive for in order to stay spiritually well. I don't have all of them down yet, but I am a work in progress!!
1. Ponder, Pray and Meditate - Lately I find myself spending more quiet time listening to that inner voice that leads, guides, and directs me to my ultimate good. Take five minutes a day and just be quiet. Pray, if that is what feels right to you, perhaps mediate on an affirmation or one word, or perhaps just sit quietly and let that inner voice speak to you. Whatever you do, it is very important to your spiritual health and your physical health to take the time to be quiet for five minutes a day.
2. Learn to Love Yourself - It may sound cliché, but learning to truly love yourself as you are right now in this moment in time is key to your spiritual wellness. You were created for a wonderful purpose! Within you are gifts, talents, and abilities that you were meant to use that will bring you and others joy. That knowledge alone is enough to embark on a journey of self love.
3. Read Inspirational Quotes and Scripture - I love starting my day reading positive, inspirational quotes, affirmations, and scriptures. It truly helps me to set my mind on those things that are positive and takes my focus away from the negative. If you want to be healthy on the outside, one of the first steps is to work on being healthy on the inside. Keeping your mind focused on those things that are positive is an effective way to get and stay spiritually well.
4. Practice Gratitude - I have learned a valuable lesson about gratitude. I have found that when I intentionally focus on what I am grateful for, what I naturally think about begins to change. I no longer automatically focus on what is wrong; instead; I choose to focus on what is right. As a result, I find that the things I am grateful for begin to increase each day! It is truly remarkable. Gratitude journaling is one way to focus on things for which you are grateful. Try writing down three things you are grateful for everyday. You will find that the list grows over time, and your spiritual wellness increases as well.
5. Connect With Nature - Pay more attention to the nature around you. All living things are connected, and realizing that is the first step to connecting with nature. Nature can help your spiritual and physical health. As you spend time in nature, you will feel revitalized and energized. You will feel a spiritual renewal. The ability to release stress is much easier when you connect with nature. Connecting with nature is essential to your spiritual wellness.
6. Find Out Your Life's Purpose - You were created for a purpose. You were placed here on this earth to not only to learn, but also to give. There is a reason why you are here. Part of being spiritually well is embarking on that quest to find out why you are here and to dig deep for the answer. If your life is lacking in purpose, joy, passion, and purpose, it is important that you take the time to find out what you truly want to do and then go do it!